2/17/2023

Hydrocephalus

The Medical Apocalypse continues. I have been experiencing horrible migraine-like headaches since December,  2022. I was thinking that it could be a side effect of my lung cancer immunotherapy. In addition to the headaches I would intermittently see patterns/images in my vision. It's very similar to getting a photo taken with a flash and you see that flashbulb in your vision until it fades away.



When I reported this to my oncologist he ordered a brain MRI, suspecting lung cancer metastasis to my brain. 


The results showed that the ventricles to my brain have  gotten larger causing more cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow to my brain. Your brain can only absorb so much CSF. 


I will have brain surgery next week to implant a shunt in my head/brain to drain the excess CSF through my body to my stomach. The shunt will be placed under my skin on top of my head and a drain line will run under my skin down my neck through my body to my stomach In theory this will relieve the added pressure on my brain and give me relief from the headaches.

It is brain surgery, but a common procedure. I will only be in the hospital 1 to 2 days. I will have lifting and exertion restrictions for a couple of weeks.


The worst part of the recovery process is missing the GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer Voices Summit in DC in March 2023 because of no flying or long distance car travel for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery.  


I was so excited and looking forward to going to Capitol Hill to meet with my Ohio representatives face to face for the first time.


Please send positive thoughts and prayers my way for the upcoming surgery and recovery. 

2 comments:

  1. You have always overcome in all of your extraordinary circumstances. I have no doubt you will once again. Just hate you have to go through another surgery. 🙏💪

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa, praying the recovery is quick for you and helps you feel better ❤️‍🩹

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions are always welcome.